First Baptist Church, Sylvania is located midway between Augusta and Savannah, Georgia. Sylvania is a small bedroom community 30 miles north of Statesboro, a university town which is home to Georgia Southern University.
First Baptist was founded in 1847. Our present house of worship was built in 1917. Although it has been modernized and enlarged frequently throughout the years, it continues to maintain the integrity of its original design. In the mid 1990s, construction was completed on our Family Life Center which includes instructional rooms, recreation areas and an exercise room, nursery facilities, and a multi-purpose room/gymnasium.
Our church is under the leadership of senior pastor, Dr. Charlie Cooper. Other ministerial staff includes a minister of music, Rev. Phil Bishop, and a minister to students and families, Rev. Clint Sheppard. It is the earnest desire of the church faithful that First Baptist grows both evangelically and spiritually.Our current average in worship is approximately 200 members. Attendance in Sunday School averages 170. We have 20 classes ranging from preschool to our Virginia Class, a women’s class consisting of members in their late eighties and nineties. We are particularly proud of these loyal believers who have embraced our movement toward a blended worship with willing and adventurous spirits.